Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Cancer Awareness Months

So we all know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. If you are a literate American who reads anything, you know what all the pink is about this month. Now breast cancer is important and is a prevalent cancer among women. But, I feel like it gets more media attention than any other cancer. Who in America is not aware of breast cancer? I think the pink ribbons should continue and we as public health professionals should continue to spread awareness. However, what about the other cancers? There are many many prevalent and deadly cancers which could be curbed with awareness of screening techniques.

I propose today that we promote proper screening to prevent another cancer--colorectal cancer. Hmm, not everyone's favorite cancer to talk about? Well, it is the third most common cause of cancer (excluding skin cancers) in the US, taking third behind bladder and breast cancer. It may not be as emotional as breast cancer, but still one that can be prevented with proper screening. So, no need to worry, I have it all figured out. I'm thinking as this is a less than exciting cancer, we'll pick the shortest month--February as Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. And, as for a color for all the promotion ribbons, well you guessed it--Brown.

Look for your favorite brown ribbons debuting February 2011.

1 comment:

  1. Well, there goes my idea of having brown as my wedding color in February. There's no way I'm going to be thinking about colorectal cancer at my reception...

    JK. My colors are purple and navy. Thanks for your attention to cancer justice for all.

    ReplyDelete