Monday, April 12, 2010

Cambodia and Law School

I thought I would follow suit a little and just let everyone in on a few updates in my life...I made it back from Cambodia and had a great time and it looks like I am going to be an attorney after all??? Crazy huh?

Cambodia was way fun and it looks like everything is going to work out as planned with my project. I did a photovoice survey among elementary students about hygiene and sanitation for the Jolie-Pitt Foundation. The kids took awesome pictures and it definitely shows that they feel there are problems to be solved in their communities regarding the topic. The area I was in was pretty cool too...it certainly has quite the background. The fighting from their 30 year civil war ended in this area just over 10 years ago in 1998. While I was there, there were a few little brush fires going on in the hills and at night you could hear ammunition and occasionally a land mine going off due to the heat of the fires. I had to be semi-careful too where I chose to wonder around as the area is not yet completely "de-mined." Everywhere that hasn't been de-mined is marked by fairly large, sometimes visible, red warning signs. All in all though, I learned a ton from the Jolie-Pitt people and they are doing an incredible job in their area.

As for law school...I put myself in a pretty difficult situation by applying so late in the game. I have been quite worried as a lot of schools have warned me that their acceptance lists are pretty much filled by this time, but things have turned out okay. I applied to 24 schools to increase my chances as much as I could, and I am still waiting with my fingers crossed to hear from 12 more. So far, I am in at Creighton, Texas Tech, and University of the Pacific in Sacramento...none of these are my top choices, but at least I am in somewhere as of now. A handful of the rest of the schools, including BYU, put me on their waitlist and will offer a spot if some open up as time goes on. It might be a long spring/summer waiting on all of these waitlists, but at least I know that I have somewhere to go currently if nothing else pans out. It's still a little new to me, thinking that I am actually going to be a lawyer, but I think I'll get used to it soon.

I can't wait to see everyone next week.


A Few Deep Fried Cockroaches for Dinner!

Some of the kids writing their responses to their pictures.

A "Beware of Land Mines" sign posted about 10 feet outside my bedroom window. Sleep walking could get dangerous here.



2 comments:

  1. Congrats on law school and making it back from Cambodia in one piece! I'm glad your project went well. It sounds really fun and like it could be quite effective. I can't wait to hear more about it next week. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Likewise - congratulations on your acceptances! I like your attitude about being a lawyer, i think you are an inspiration to us all. Are you going to be a public health attorney? Or maybe you could defend me and Brad when we provide preventive services and people claim it caused autism? =)

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete