Thursday, August 13, 2009

Guess what our ultrasound showed?

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, Jenny and I had our ultrasound yesterday to see the gender and physical state of our baby. Jenny didn't really sleep Tuesday night and we were nervous going to the appointment. Fortunately, the ultrasound results were very clear...we're having a boy! I think we were both surprised. We had both reached the point of not caring what our baby's gender was, but I think we were both expecting a girl. We're extremely excited to have a boy and hope for a girl in the future. Starting with a boy is perfect for us and he looks totally healthy too. His measurements put him a day smaller than he should be, so he is pretty much as perfect as we could hope and pray for. We're so happy and excited!

So, I didn't come up with my gender test, but I did do something statistically interesting regarding the gender guesses of other people. The probability of x out of n people correctly guessing the gender of our baby follows a binomial distribution since each person's guess can be seen as an independent trial (assuming they didn't collaborate and decide what to guess beforehand) and the outcome has two possibilities: a boy or a girl. Before I told my family and friends the results of our ultrasound, I asked them to guess the gender of our baby. Eight out of eight people I asked (including Ashley's prediction on this blog) correctly guessed a boy. I'll let you each look up the binomial formula if you wish, but the probability of eight out of eight people guessing our baby's gender correctly is 0.0039! That's incredible! In all seriousness, though, having a healthy little boy growing inside of Jenny as part of our family is beyond incredible! We're just so excited!

3 comments:

  1. I am SO excited for you (really I've been checking the blog all day yesterday and today)! I was sort of hoping that it would be a girl, so that our ratio in cohort babies would be one to one, but a boy is so exciting too. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew it was a boy... MaryAnne wanted you to have a girl too bad for that to actually happen (sorry MaryAnne)! Yay we are so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. You'll love having a boy!

    ReplyDelete