Monday, January 11, 2010

Adjunct faculty...

...yep, i accidentally got a job as adjunct faculty in the biology department at SLCC. Seriously. By accident. I didn't even put in an application, and the director didn't even look at my resume. Weird. So, i am now finishing my project report, taking Dr. Cole's Refugee and Immigrant Health class, and getting up at 5 am Mon, Wed, and Fri to make it to the SLCC Jordan campus by 7 am when classes start.

I'm excited to see if teaching is something that I will enjoy as much as I think I will... so it should help me to decide if a PhD is really what I want to do. I'd rather be in Public Health and not just be teaching Intro to Biology, but i'll be grateful for the opportunity that I do have. I'm really glad that Randy made us spend so much time developing lesson plans now...cause that's the part that freaks me out!

I started this morning, so i had to develop the syllabus, etc. for class today. You'd all be proud of my powerpoint though... no words at all ;-)

And it's weird to make people call me Professor Hayden. Ms. Hayden is even worse. But since they're undergraduates that's what the department wants us to do.

I'll keep you all updated as things progress this semester.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats!!! That's so fantastic! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You will do great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! Congratulations! You'll have to keep us posted on how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Hayden/Professor Hayden,

    I know that you would rather be teaching some more specifically public health related, but as we can all attest to, biology is an important part of public health...just ask anyone who took Health 619 last semester. I wish you the best this semester. And, if you need someone to break up the day and do a crazy dance, you know where to find me.

    Sincerely,

    Breanne E. Didenhover

    ReplyDelete