Friday, March 12, 2010

Advocacy Summit Part 2

Last weekend Alisha and I joined the 20 other BYU students for the Advocacy Summit in DC. As all of you attended last year, I don't really need to go into details of how it went. I may have had some alternative motives for attending this year, but BYU and the summit definitely got their money's worth out of me. Carl volunteered me to present in a Saturday session and then somehow Alisha and I got roped into role playing on Sunday. Alisha got to participate in the "what NOT to do" and I had to do the "what to do" segment. I'm not really sure how I got put up to all of it, but it seemed to work out. Carl convinced me that my participation would 1)build my resume and 2)help make professional contacts--both turned out to be true.

For the presentation I sat down with one of the head guys (some of you ate lunch with him last year, Rob Simmons) and we talked back and forth on "Effective Hill Visits." I really am not sure how I got selected to be the student expert, but I guess attendance at one summit qualifies you--so you are all advocacy experts, just so you know. The presentation went WAY better than I expected and actually made for a more enjoyable conference. This year didn't seem to be quite as boring as last. They did of course butcher my name, so I am known as "Bre-Ah" and don't worry, the girl introducing me didn't even attempt my last name. Oh well.

The Hill visits went great. I got paired with a great undergrad who was awesome and we rocked our visits. And the weather couldn't have been better--50's. Tuesday, I had the opportunity to tour the Health and Human Services Building. The tour was pretty cool and we met with quite a few individuals who work in different areas: commission corps, policy analysts, emergency and disaster analysts, and an appointed official. I made some good contacts and if anyone is interested in working in HHS, let me know and I'll pass the contact info on. I think I might like an analyst job--getting paid to think sounds pretty good and government benefits are fantastic!

From the visit, my job hunt has turned east and I think DC is now my top choice. So Cal is still lingering in the back of my mind, but maybe I'll get there in a few years (when the state isn't going into financial ruin).

I think that's about it for the Advocacy Summit. I do have pictures, and I'll be sure to get those up soon.

11 comments:

  1. I feel like a key part of the summit is missing...
    I totally agree about hhs analyst jobs sound cool, that is what i am right now and i love it- sadly it is just an internship. Government benefits ARE amazing, worth working with some incompetent people! Did you talk to any commissioned corp guys? I am meeting with a recruiter about it next week... it sounds like a sweet deal except the uniform part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny you mention the uniform! I was just talking to Carl about it (he thinks it's a great career move) but I said I didn't think I could do the uniform...khaki is not my best color!

    As for the summit...well you know the details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley we already know that you rock the uniform look, so don't let that part of the corps bog you down. Brea - what about pics?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey they dont always wear khaki, in the summer they wear white... plus did you hear about the benefits? Housing allowance, pension (who still even does that), medical and dental tax free, food allowance, pay on average 30% more starting, and it is easier to get promoted? I think I am totally going to do it, but I agree the uniform idea kills me, not that i am stylish but i have a thing about my skin and my clothes being the same color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you talk to the recruiter? I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Let me know how the meeting goes. Then maybe I'll reconsider the khaki.

    ReplyDelete
  6. who is the "thanks for share" person? I am not trying to be mean but I want to know who else cares what is happening in the lives of cohort 7 besides cohort 7?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you work in the commissioned corps in Utah? And I agree you would all rock the khaki and white... although I'm like Ashley and have issues with my legs matching my clothing. Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you can work with the commissioned corps wherever they have jobs open (throughout the 50 states) but they are not currently accepting any MPHs, dont worry I already applied.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brea, what are these "details" we are missing out on? Somebody fill me in! Don't make me come down there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know what you are talking about Eli. But if you want any details on my life, then you will have to come down! (I'm thinking Friday is a good day). I don't share personal stories on the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete