Thursday, March 11, 2010

Update

Ok, so I'm not the best at posting on this blog. There's just a lot going on, and I'm not sure where to start.

So, I've been officially accepted to the University of Michigan and Boston University for their Environmental Health PhD programs. I am also visiting the University of Washington later this month. Considering that the university is paying for my plane ticket and my hotel room, I think it's safe to say that I'm admitted, unless they deem me too strange to work with. I did not get into Yale, but I am really not sad about it. I think the choice is going to come down between Boston University and the University of Washington. I've never lived in either Boston or Seattle, but if anyone has information about either city, I would love to hear your impressions of either city.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm crazy for signing myself up for another 4 years of poverty and indentured servitude, aka a PhD program. As if my self-criticism/analysis isn't enough, I recently was asked, "How does you getting a phd and furthering your education, and thus your career and accolade in the eyes of the world glorify God?" I think we talked about biased questions in Rosemary's class... this would be a great example of one. Although the author didn't mean harm, this question, and similar commentary and questions from the general public pretty much have me fuming from the ears.

Judging from most of the cohort's responses to Ashley's blog entry on education and women, I think it's pretty clear where people in this group stand on the issue. I am ready to move out of a place where some people view women's higher education and family life as non-compatible events. Then I remember that no matter where I go, there will still be Mormons that think this way, and then part of me dies just thinking about having to put up with it for the rest of my life. Why is this viewpoint even part of Mormon culture? Why is female education even still a subject of debate?

As far as the project goes, things are slightly delayed. The distribution of the email survey did not go as smoothly as I had hoped. I wrote more about it on my blog. I really am not sure why I thought this email survey would be a smooth process. I think there is a chance I will be able to finish before the April 23rd deadline. I am still going to walk, but I won't receive my diploma until August.

I hope things are going well for everyone. Congrats to everyone that finished their projects! I miss all of you! The lab (aka the cave) is a lonely place without you.

- J.o.

3 comments:

  1. Way to go Judy for posting on the blog! Congratulations on getting accepted to a ph.d- I i ever come around to thinking about it you will have to let me know how to get in. I am so excited for your new adventures outside of utah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Keep us posted on where you end up. I've had friends who have gone to Washington and really love Seattle! I don't know as much about Boston, but I'm sure it would be great too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bostooooooooon wow that is one cool city. Congratulations Judy! Totally with you on the comments about women and education. How do they interpret D&C 130:19 and pretty much everything the modern prophets have told us?

    ReplyDelete