Thursday, June 4, 2009

First Day...better than expected?

Barbados PAHO building

Just as predicted, but not totally expected, I showed up at PAHO this morning with no one knowing anything about me or my arrival. Dr. Alleyne, my mentor, was not in the office and finally when someone could get a hold of her, we found out that she was sick and had been at the doctor that morning. In the mean time, I met the staff, had some lovely conversation, and took a mini tour of the facilities. I was sent downstairs to the document library so I could play on the internet. Even the lady in charge of the library was not there and while I was waiting for someone to give me the password to log on, I received a call from Dr. Alleyne. She explained her situation (she thinks she had a sinus infection, but had to visit the doctor to rule out the Swine Flu before coming into work). She told me to take the afternoon off and go to the beach and that she will call me in the morning when she gets in and will come pick me up at my house and take me to the office. So much for a first day! I guess I can't really complain as I did spend the afternoon lying on a white sandy beach. We’ll see how tomorrow goes and if I actually work or just hang out and explore the town.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I had spent my first day "in the office" lying on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh don't worry, my second day I will be doing the same. My advisor emailed me documents to read and said to come in Monday ready to discuss them. The reading doesn't have to be done between 1-4 PM, so that won't cut into my beach time at all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Typical... and so lucky. You better have an amazing tan to show for all your hard work

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you should have titled it "Beach Experience Proposal"? That's awesome!

    Hey, but maybe your work got sent up here. I was just told that I'll be analyzing some asthma data that came in from Barbados... hmmmmmmmm... I'll hold onto it for a bit - you seem like you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete