Sunday, June 21, 2009

What a Great Father's Day!

Well, I woke up early this morning and was in blinding pain...always a wonderful surprise. After about 30 minutes I ended up on the floor outside of our bathroom, as this gave me easy access to vomit every few minutes from the pain. Mark woke up shortly after that and asked me if I was okay...I told him I didn't think I was??? I finally decided to call my dad, which was a nice Father's day present to him (a few middle of the night phone calls), and tell him what was going on. Well, my suspicions were confirmed as he told me that I most likely had kidney stones. Mark went and woke up our neighbor to ask if he could take us to the hospital...luckily, our neighbor was very nice and took us in. When we got to the hospital, I laid down on the floor (this was the coldest and most comfortable position I could find), while Mark went and found some help. For being in an emergency room, the help actually came much quicker than I thought it would and it was nice and efficient as well. Although, they did tell me that I would have to pay for any and all services myself and then take it up with my insurance later...I told them I didn't really care how much it cost, but to please just stop the *$!% pain! (I was very nice about it though) Once they got me in a bed and took some blood the most wonderful thing happened...very powerful pain killer shots! They worked so fast and so nicely too. After an hour or two, they confirmed that it was kidney stones and that the worst of it should be over by now (music to my ears). 

Here is the confusing part. I am in Switzerland, I don't drink soda anymore, I drink a crap load of water every day, I run 3+ times/week, I eat a whole lot more healthy than I should be, and then this happens??? Why didn't it happen at home when I don't drink water, I don't exercise, I drink my body weight in Dr. Pepper on a daily basis etc...I think the moral of the story is that all this healthy living garbage / protective behaviors I hear about all the time is exactly that, "garbage." I really think my body just needs to get home and get back to how life is supposed to be lived!  

Oh, the doctor told me too that many people say that the whole kidney stone thing is as painful as labor??? I don' t understand the beginning of labor, but if they are anywhere near correct about the pain thing...What in the hell are you women thinking when you decide you what to get pregnant and have a baby? I mean seriously...I would not make a good woman. I would definitely just say no to having kids...or just do what Frank and Alice did and have Phoebe carry my children. 


This is me after a little of the pain medicine


This is me after a lot of the pain medicine!

6 comments:

  1. Whoa! Congratualtions Pete on getting through that "labor"; you're a father! Did you get to keep the stones as a momento? How many were there?

    I would have to say I am with you on the "I would not make a good woman" comment. I never had a kidney stone, but I have thought that many times since Sara was pregnant and everything that has happened since then. Seriously, there have got to be some other major gender differences that give a mom a desire to have another baby. I can't imagine what they (and you now!) have to go through, but I agree that it takes a special type of person to want to do that again!!

    Glad you're OK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you survived! and that you were nice to the people giving you high doses of powerful pain medications! That's very nice of you. Ashley and I thought about you while we were eating lots of greasy food and visiting the Apple store in NY this weekend! Hopefully you're theory of "healthy eating is garbage" is right or else we're in BIG trouble. Either way we weren't the best public health advocates this weekend!
    I hope the worst is over and that you share your "labor" story in women's health next semester!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KIDNEY STONES!!!! (pretend I said that like the doctor on friends when joey had kidney stones). Pete that sounds... awful! and camille is right we did think of you as we ate tons of junk in NYC this weekend. I hope you feel better and that Mark is a great nurse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I think now that you understand labor, you should definitely apply to be a TA for the women's health class.

    2. I'm sorry this had to happen, but I'm glad you got to experience the beauty of pain meds.

    3. Thanks for saying hell. I didn't want to be the first to swear on the blog :) Next time, use my favorite word...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about the stones, but "this to shall pass" (pun VERY intended). :) My favorite part of the post was when you call into question our entire degree, "I think the moral of the story is that all this healthy living garbage / protective behaviors I hear about all the time is exactly that, garbage." Who needs prevention anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Pete! I hope you're OK. I have talked to other people who had kidney stones and they too mentioned the "as painful as labor" thing. Not fun. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete