Wednesday, June 3, 2009

First Impressions


House across the street from where I live

The road I live on

Neighbor's flowers with mango trees in the background

Rendevous Beach

More Beach...notice the turquoise color

Well I finally made it. After months of emailing, planning, and frustrating communication, I made it. I am now in Barbados. I start work at PAHO tomorrow, and I won't lie..I'm nervous. I stopped in today on my tour of essential places to know, but no one in my department was there. I hope they know I'm coming...with the way communication has been, I wouldn't be surprised if they forgot. We'll just have to see.

I have now spent almost 24 hours here and here are some of my first impressions.

Barbados is hot! Last night I got in well after dark and couldn't really see anything, but I could feel it, and it was hot and humid. It really isn't too bad, but it will take some getting used to. I took a tour today, part by taxi, part by foot and my thoughts were that much of the island reminds me of Mozambique and it's weird when everyone is speaking English. I'm not used to being in a foreign country where I can understand everything. Of course, the English is a little different from mine, but I'm getting used to it...I just have to listen carefully. Here are some pictures that I took today on my walk. Most of them are of the roads and houses and a few of the beach I walked to. The supermarket, bank, and post office are about a 25 minute walk and the beach is just across the street from the bank. This weekend I will look for other beaches where I can lay out and read. The water is seriously warm and a beautiful turquoise. I can get used to this! Enjoy the pics.

3 comments:

  1. me too...i'm excited to hear more. Hope everything goes well when you get to the office

    ReplyDelete
  2. dont you guys live together? it seems that by this point in the trip you would have established a joint email account. By the way Brea, Congratulations! You finally made it! I am so happy for you, good luck (and if they forgot you were coming you can just sit in a little cube and read stupid stuff for two weeks like i did)

    ReplyDelete