Monday, June 29, 2009

This is Public Health....continued


Just as a follow up to my last post, I thought I would add this picture. I saw this sign in the main town square of downtown Bridgetown, Barbados. Next to the sign was a large tent where people could come and get free HIV/AIDS testing and counseling. I would have taken a picture of the tent with all the people, but I didn't think people would like me taking pictures of them getting AIDS counseling, so I figured I would stick with the sign. I'm really glad that Barbados is making an effort to stop the spread of HIV/AIDS. One thing I thought of was how this would never fly in the U.S. There's no way you could set up a free HIV/AIDS testing booth in any downtown; it would probably violate a dozen privacy and discrimination laws. Luckily, in the less developed part of the world, people don't seem to mind as much. But Barbados is doing its part in addressing the HIV/AIDS problem: condoms in the bathrooms and free HIV testing in city squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment