Sunday, July 26, 2009

Barbados Anyone

So seriously guys, where have you all gone? I know I probably have the most time on my hands of everyone, but this is sad when the last three posts are mine. I no longer care about flooding the blog, so I will continue to post. I have plenty of random thoughts and time to share them.

My latest thought comes from a Professor Hassell here in Barbados. I went to the Ministry of Health for a presentation from this Professor on a proposal for salt reduction. He is the Chairman of the National Committee on Non Communicable Diseases in Barbados. Barbados leads the Caribbean in chronic diseases, specifically diabetes, hypertension, and heart disease. Anyway, I attended the meeting with my advisor and during the introductions, this professor asked if I would like to return to Barbados for a year to complete a post doctorate fellowship. I'm not sure what the qualifications for that would include, but he knew I would be finishing my MPH this next year. He said he would like to meet with me next week to discuss it. He is in the process of securing funding for one student to work for a year in the area of chronic disease. He asked if I would be interested or if anyone at my university would be interested. As you all know my feelings right now about being here, I would respectfully decline. I couldn't imagine living here for a year (not that it's not fabulous, beautiful, and the weather is incredible) I just get lonely. But if anyone has a desire to live in the Caribbean for a year or could bring their family/spouse with them, it's a great place to live. And I promise you, you will fall in love with the beaches and get a nice tan along the way!

Any takers?

4 comments:

  1. Hey Brea. Traci was just reading your post over my shoulder and said "Sign me up! I'd go at the drop of a hat!" Barbados sounds cool to me too. If you have any, could you please send me some info on the fellowship? Let me know how your meeting with the prof goes. Thanks Brea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds awesome. Of course, it all depends on med school/no med school. So for now, have at it Mark and fam! What an opportunity!

    Speaking of mark. How is S. Africa??

    ReplyDelete
  3. So this is a few days late, but aren't you supposed to have a doctorate degree in order to do a post-doc? That's why it's called a post-doc. Maybe I'm wrong, but all of the post-docs I met at NIEHS had doctorate degrees. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would think you have to have a doctorate degree as well, but the professor seemed to know where I was at in my schooling. I didn't talk to the guy again, but if anyone is seriously interested, I could get the contact information.

    ReplyDelete