Thursday, July 16, 2009

Reason #1,000,000 why the NYC subway is not my friend.

So since I told everyone they had to post I guess I should post. I dont have anything exciting to say, except that I only have to stay here 6 more weeks! Oh yeah and we got a house (well a little more complicated than that, but pretend). So I am trying to think of a some good NYC stuff to tell you guys and nothing in particular is coming to mind, so I will just tell you about what happened this morning. I need to preface by saying I hate the subway, it is hot, there are rats, people are crammed together, and it is dirty, with all that being said this is what happened to me this morning. SO this morning I was running a little bit late... my boss doesn't work Thursdays so things are a little bit more "flexible" that day. Anyway I was running a little bit late, but I thought if I dont have to wait for the train I might not be too late (and really only interns are in the office thursdays so not a big deal) anyway so I am walking to the train and I can see that it just got there, which is good news since it looked like i wouldn't have to wait around, so i went to swipe my metro card and it said "insufficient funds", which is odd since I have an unlimited pass and they usually just say something like 'time expired" anyway, so I went to make sure it was really expired... and it was. I thought no big deal I will just buy a new one, so I went to buy a new one and the ridiculous machine would not take my debit or credit cards. So I keep trying, and it is getting later, the train leaves and I am still trying, another train comes and yes I am still trying, finally I realize I can use cash, which would be fine if I had cash- I consider going to the bank, but that would just slow me down more (I am not thinking clearly at this point I am so mad) and if there is something wrong with my account I cant even get money from the ATM, finally I found a magic $10 in my bag, I buy a metro card and get on the train. I ride all the way to work, and think "hm... maybe it was just the machine at my stop" so I try the machine at the stop near my work... and it worked... how annoying is that!!!! So let's just say Chase identity theft protection is getting a little bit annoying at this point in the summer.* 

On a totally unrelated note did you know that NYC has TONS of mosquitos, I think I am going to get malaria- Camille if I had known this I would have gotten the malaria pills. 

On another unrelated note does anyone have a graduate project I can do, please say yes. 

Finally, HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY TO CAMILLE! I cannot believe we did not post about that, and I think HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY TO ALINA (Alina, if your birthday isnt during summer happy really really really early birthday to you). 

*one good thing about the subway though- sometimes when the conductor is running late they will skip stops- this is great for me since i live on the last stop, but sad for all the other people since they dont tell you until they pass your stop- this makes for a very comical 15 minutes- I know I am a little bit mean. 

2 comments:

  1. Yes Ashley my birthday is in the summer Aug 10th. Thank you for the early birthday wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you still want the malaria pills I have some connections... :) Good luck with the subways, mice, mosquitoes and New Yorkers! I'm excited to see you this weekend.
    Thanks again for the birthday wishes, and I'll make sure to keep looking out for potential projects!

    ReplyDelete