Monday, May 18, 2009

Ode to SAS and Public Transporation

Hey all! Its so fun to hear about everyone's adventures, although I do miss everyone! Life here in Maryland and at the NCI is great. I finally feel like I'm accomplishing something which is a good feeling. I've finished my preliminary exploratory analysis of my first data project using SAS...oh how I love SAS! Its probably not very exciting to anyone else but I analyzed several soil types against cases and controls in a Kaposi sarcoma study. I found a couple of interesting results that I'll probably look in to a little bit further. Right now I'm working on learning GIS so that I can map out the soil types to use in the report. My mentor likes pictures! And its actually pretty cool.

I'm also learning a lot about the public transportation options here in Maryland and the greater DC and Baltimore metro areas. I know all the buses that can get me from College Park to Rockville (and there's more combinations than you might expect)! Getting from Rockville to Baltimore is a bit trickier...not that I'd want to get there very often :) It is more of a combination of bus, metro and commuter trainn and takes a lot of time too, so Aaron usually just drives down and meets me at my house in College Park. I've also been blessed to make friends with one of the researchers in the Hormonal and Reproductive Epi Branch who happens to live no more than 8 blocks from where I do, so when she's in town she gives me a ride home! She's awesome and her 10-month-old daughter is adorable!

For those of you who are curious, everything with Aaron is going great. We're going down to Duck Beach, North Carolina for Memorial Day with about a million other singles from the East Coast! I'm excited for the beach. I just hope it gets a little bit warmer!

As far as food goes I don't feel like I have anything to compete with everyone else. I definitely haven't made any multi-colored cakes...and now I don't think I ever can since I could never make one as cool as Liz's! I have found a whole bunch of ethnic restaurants in the most unexpected places (mostly along the bus route in random little cities). There are a few pho Vietnamese noodle places that we're planning to try out. I'll make sure to report!

Good luck to you all! I love reading about everything that's going on and looking at the pictures! Miss you all!

3 comments:

  1. Camille! You ride the metro in Balto? I'm going to start in a couple weeks (right now I drive)... is it like DC? Also, any ideas on good restaurants in Baltimore? You probably get out more than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a very sick way, I am jealous of all the cool stuff you are getting to do. (yes, I never thought I would say that either). Way to go for braving the public transportation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't used to metro actually in Baltimore; I took the metro to get to the MARC station that went into Baltimore, so unfortunately I don't think I can offer any illuminating insight. Sorry! I'll keep an eye out for good restaurants in Baltimore too. Besides the stuff around the Inner Harbor I haven't experienced much of the city. Aaron comes down to College Park more than I go up there!

    Pete, I'm jealous you're in Geneva! The grass is always greener...but I will definitely enjoy all the burgers! I just found a Five Guys a couple blocks from my house. :) I thought you might appreciate that more than most!

    ReplyDelete