Sunday, May 3, 2009

Quito

The only interesting thing that happened on my trip down was the ¨Mask-wearer watching¨that I got to do in the airports and on the planes. It was quite humorous to see so many people wearing their masks in such an inefficient way. Aside from the fact that the mask doesn´t really stop much at all, people were wearing them in hundreds of different ways that all managed to NOT block the airflow to the mouth and nose...

A member family picked me up at the airport and has taken me around the city in the last few days. I arrived on Friday and by Saturday at 12:30 they had found me a place to live only a few blocks from the PAHO office. It´s in a good area of town, too (though you wouldn´t know it from the looks of the place- it´s all pretty run down except the main roads), so I can walk to work and have a safe park right there to go running and everything.

The only problem is that it doesn´t have a real kitchen...but an entire meal here costs about 2-3 dollars, so I´m not too stressed about having to eat out. That way I get to try all the traditional foods, too! And the fruit is just what I was waiting for...it´s SOOO good.

I should have access to the internet at my apartment (I move in tomorrow), so I´ll try to get a blog built and get it connected to this one. Chao!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're back in familiar territory! And I definitely envy your fruit situation, I'm worried I'll get scurvy being so far from California oranges, but you've got papaya (3x the vitamin C as oranges?) in your back yard!

    Did I hear that you will be doing part of your internship in Ecuador and part in Utah? Let us know how work is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous that you only have to pay 2-3 dollars for a meal - I paid $8.50 for a muffin and sip of orange juice this morning!
    I can't wait to see pics.

    ReplyDelete